For most of us, moving is not on the top of our holiday wish list. But for some, the time comes to pack up and make the change right in the middle of this festive time of year. Throw the family obligations, financial strain and weather concerns into the moving mix and you’ve got a holiday recipe for stress.
However, a little preparation and outside help can go a long way in helping create a smooth moving experience, so you and your family can concentrate on the things that really matter during the holidays.
Here are a few tips to get your holiday moving trip off on the right foot.
1. Pick A Reliable & Trustworthy Moving Company – Even Santa has a team of helpers, why shouldn’t you? Hire a reliable & trustworthy moving company early and let them do the most of the work. Sure, it will still be hectic moving your life and loved ones, but you shouldn’t have to do it alone. One key in choosing your holiday helpers is to make sure they are certified with a solid reputation in your area. For us locals, there are several Camp Hill PA movers who have top ratings and can help make your move go as smoothly as possible.
2. Plan Early - Most of us dread moving and would put it off until the last moment. But the holidays require even more discipline in planning. Once you pick your movers, be sure to ask in advance if your specific dates are available, whether they change extra during the holiday season, and what may be the specifications for weather changes. Having “Santa’s helpers” in place for moving day can help maintain low stress levels and allow you to join in other holiday festivities knowing the hard part is over.
3. Get Organized (and Social!) – Instead of putting off holiday plans and parties to concentrate on box-packing and labeling, make that the party! Whip up some egg-nog and hot cocoa, and have family, friends and other generous souls over to help pack up. Create a central packing station with all the necessary tools: packing boxes of different sizes, newspaper, bubble wrap, tape, scissors, etc. Pack everything that belongs in a particular room together in a room labeled box, which will also help with the unpacking process.
4. Simplify – Packing (and even unpacking) is the perfect time to simplify. Ridding our lives of unneeded material things can be cathartic. In terms of the overwhelming celebrations that usually accompany the holidays, you may choose to stick to one big tradition, such as opening a gift on Christmas Eve or celebrating with a glass of champagne on New Year’s Eve, and keep things simple. This will help with the transition for you and your family (especially if you have children) when moving during the holidays.
5. Enjoy The Experience – Moving can be daunting, yes. However it is also the opportunity for change, whether in the form of a new job, new city or family experience. When we change our perspective and focus on priorities, the little things seem to not matter so much. Plus, staying positive around the holidays is contagious. Take a second each day to be thankful for what you do have and realize the holidays are a time for celebration!
Have you ever moved during the holidays or other stressful time of year? What tips would you suggest?